Fire damages house


Fire caused severe damage to a house Wednesday afternoon at New York Avenue and C Street.

Hastings firefighters were called to 423 S. New York Ave. at 2:47 p.m. to reports of flames coming from the basement of the house.

Fire Chief Kent Gilbert said the cause of fire was determined to be smoking materials that had accidentally fallen into clothing in a wash area.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in about 15 minutes but continued to check for hot spots as they used fans to clear smoke from the building.

To read more, see Thursday's Hastings Tribune or the Tribune e-edition.>>


Copyright © 2014