Child taken into custody for gunshot death

Authorities have taken into custody the 9-year-old brother of a toddler who died from a gunshot wound last week.

No charges have been filed against the child, but Adams County Attorney Donna Fegler Daiss plans to file a juvenile petition in the case later today.

The probation office asked for a 48-hour detention order Wednesday on the boy, who is not being identified due to his age. The boy isn’t being held in a detention facility, but has been removed from the home, Daiss said.

While she wouldn’t elaborate on the details of Friday’s shooting, Daiss said authorities don’t believe it was an accident. That doesn’t mean it was an intentional act, she said.

“There is a question as to how the weapon was loaded,” she said.

Law enforcement has been actively investigating the family since the incident last week, she said, and prior incidents in the household have caused concern for officials.

Officers were called to 907 N. Saunders Ave. at 8:18 a.m. Friday for a report of a toddler being shot in the head by a rifle. The 4-year-old boy, Beau Pecor, was transported to Mary Lanning Healthcare, but later died at the hospital.

The rifle in the incident was owned by the mother’s boyfriend, but no charges have been filed against the adults.

To read more, see Thursday's Hastings Tribune or the Tribune e-edition.>>


Copyright © 2014