Minden city worker dies following toxic gas inhalation

MINDEN — A city employee died this morning from the effects of being overcome by toxic gas in a manhole Sunday afternoon.

Robert Honomichl, 55, of Minden died after being transported to Good Samaritan Hospital in Kearney in critical condition.

A news release from the city of Minden states the thoughts and prayers of the city are with Honomichl's family.

City water and sewer superintendent Mike Kleen, 51, of Minden also was in the manhole Sunday afternoon and was overcome by toxic gas.

Kleen was transported to the Kearney County Health Services hospital in Minden where he was treated and kept overnight for observation. Kleen was released from the hospital Monday and is recovering at home.

The workers were clearing a blockage in a sewer line Sunday afternoon when they were overcome by gas. The news release did not specify the location of the manhole, and City Attorney Tom Lieske was unavailable for further questions.

The Minden Volunteer Fire Department was called and crews managed to pull the employees to safety.

The matter remained under investigation today, and additional information will be released as it becomes available, the city said.

To read more, see Tuesday's Hastings Tribune or the Tribune e-edition.>>>


Copyright © 2014