Steve Manthei sifted through charred debris Monday — all that remained of his mobile home and all his worldly possessions.
The 61-year-old Hastings man pulled out a few items that were salvageable at 2 Durwood Lane, but the majority of the contents were blackened chunks. Gone were Manthei’s furniture, bedroom set, television, stereo and karaoke machine. Some items can be replaced, but others such as photographs are lost forever.
Manthei didn’t even make it out of his home with a pair of shoes on Sunday afternoon when smoke started pouring from an area near the furnace.
He was watching television and drinking coffee when the smoke detector sent out a high-pitched warning. He went to investigate at the back of the mobile home, but there was too much smoke.
Instead, he woke his sleeping 16-year-old daughter, Denise, and they fled. The two escaped, but only with clothes they were wearing.
“Thank God I slept with my slippers on,” Denise said.