Then: Temperatures were estimated to have climbed as high as 2,000 degrees as fire severely damaged about 65 percent of C.L. Jones Middle School in Minden the night of May 11, 1993.
Reports at the time stated the fire started in the hallway on the north side of the gymnasium. Papers were placed in a plastic trash can there as the result of a school project after an art show and concert. The person who put them there thought the fire was out.
The trash can was resting up against the wall, which caught on fire. The can melted, causing the fire to spread to the tile flooring.
For the remainder of the school year and the entire following school year, classes were scattered throughout Minden while the middle school was rebuilt.
Now: Students and staff displaced by the fire look back on the experience with some fondness but don't overlook the hardships they experienced then.
While repairs were being made to the middle school, fifth- through eighth-grade students attended class at the Kearney County Fairgrounds until February 1994.