p07-05-19HFDstjoeFire1.jpg

Hastings firefighters work the scene of a house fire at 726 South St. Joseph Avenue Thursday night.

Firefighters put out a porch fire Thursday in the 700 block of South St. Joseph Avenue.

Hastings Fire and Rescue was called at 10:27 p.m. to respond to a building fire at 726 S. St. Joseph Ave.

The first unit arrived at 10:33 p.m. Firefighters set up hoses and started putting water on the fire by 10:35 p.m.

Fire Chief Brad Starling said the quick response helped limit the fire damage to the exterior front of the home, though there will be smoke damage to the interior of the two-story residence.

Starling said the occupants of the residence reported the fire.

p07-05-19HFDstjoeFire2.jpg

Hastings firefighters work the scene of a house fire at 726 South St. Joseph Avenue Thursday night.

The occupants had been moving items into the home earlier in the day and had been shooting off fireworks before leaving to watch the fireworks show at Brickyard Park.

When they returned, they saw fire in the front of the house and called 911.

Starling said the fire was caused by improper disposal of fireworks.

Due to the smoke damage, the house couldn’t be occupied Thursday night, but Starling said the occupants weren’t planning to stay there anyway.

0
0
3
0
0

Recommended for you