Smoke moves from the south end of a house on the 1400 block of West Sixth Street that caught fire Tuesday evening.

A minor house fire displaced a family of four Tuesday in the 1400 block of West Sixth Street.

Hastings Fire and Rescue responded about 5:30 p.m. to a fire at 1417 W. Sixth St.

Upon arrival, firefighters found an air conditioning unit and mattress on fire.

Assistant Fire Chief Curt Smith said first responders quickly put out the fire within five to six minutes.

Firefighters then removed the burning items and started ventilating the home.


A Hastings firefighter walks past a mattress that was burned during a small house fire on the 1400 block of West Sixth Street Tuesday evening.

Smith said the fire appears to have originated in the air conditioner and spread to a mattress beneath it. The fire caught some nearby items on fire, but didn’t get into the structure of the single-story house.

He said the American Red Cross was called to provide assistance to the family.

While the damage is minor, Smith said the house needs time for the smoke to dissipate before its safe for occupants.


Recommended for you