HEBRON — A 21-year-old Jansen man has denied threatening three men with a gun in Davenport last year.

Michael C. Lewis entered a written plea of not guilty to six felony charges on May 29 in Thayer County District Court.

A pre-trial hearing in the case has been set for Aug. 6 at 9:45 a.m.

Lewis faces three counts of using a deadly weapon to commit a felony and three counts of terroristic threats. Using a deadly weapon to commit a felony is a Class 2 felony punishable by up to 50 years in prison. Terroristic threats is a Class 4 felony punishable by up to two years’ imprisonment and a $10,000 fine.

According to the arrest affidavit, Lewis and Cody Krula attended a house party in Davenport on Oct. 26, 2018, and into the morning of the 27th. During the party, a verbal dispute occurred between Krula, Andrew Dahl and Garren Anderson regarding statements Krula made about Anderson’s girlfriend. Krula and Lewis then left the party.

Krula and Lewis decided to return to the party about 1:30 a.m., and a physical confrontation took place in the yard during which shots were fired.

Lewis told investigators that he took a .22-caliber handgun from Krula’s vehicle and fired two rounds into the air. He denied pointing the weapon at anyone.

Other witnesses, as well as the alleged victims, Dahl, Anderson and Grant Schiermeyer, told investigators that Lewis pointed the gun at the three.

The charges followed another case involving Lewis in which he was charged in the shooting of Reuben Elting, 33, of Davenport. The incident also resulted in the death of Reuben’s brother, Remington Elting, 28, of Davenport.

The brothers and Chance Gerdes woke Lewis about 3:24 a.m. banging on the front door of his residence and tried to force their way inside. Lewis retrieved a 9mm handgun from his bedroom and went outside, where an altercation ensued and Lewis shot Remington. Reuben then came around the corner, and Lewis shot him, as well.

Lewis was charged with use of a firearm to commit a felony and first-degree assault, but prosecutors later dismissed the charges after further investigation.


Recommended for you