Dubas drops out of gubernatorial race

Citing time constraints and family needs, state Sen. Annette Dubas announced Monday she is withdrawing from Nebraska's 2014 gubernatorial race.

Dubas, a Fullerton area farmer and rancher who represents the 34th Legislative District, made the announcement at a morning news conference in Lincoln.

"While my belief in this candidacy, and what I stood for, never wavered, it became apparent to me that campaign life was taking its toll on me and my family," she said. "We were fully committed to running a successful campaign that was focused on people. But even without best laid plans it became harder and harder to continue to attend to family matters, serve my legislative constituents and campaign for governor. So something had to give."

Dubas was elected to the Legislature in 2006 and re-elected in 2010. She is prohibited by term limits from seeking re-election again.

She had been campaigning for the last eight weeks, seeking the Democratic nomination. Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons, a former University of Nebraska regent and former executive director of the Center for Rural Affairs, is the only other Democrat in the race.

"I have no regrets about my run for governor," Dubas said. "I am sincerely sorry for letting down those who have supported my candidacy by committing their time and financial resources. Your outpouring of support and encouragement touched my heart and gave me the motivation to go out each day and work hard on the campaign trail."

She thanked her husband and family for their support in the campaign. She also said she intends to finish out her final year of legislative service and continue to lead on issues such as Medicaid expansion.



To read more, see Monday's Hastings Tribune or the Tribune e-edition.>


Copyright © 2014