A 58-year-old Hastings resident was sentenced Sept. 28 in Adams County District Court to five years of probation for first-degree arson on June 14, 2019.

Debra Mincey, whose last known address was 314 E. Seventh St., pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity on Sept. 3, 2020.

A jury found her guilty on July 23 following a trial.

According to the arrest affidavit, police were called to 314 E. Seventh St. on June 14, 2019, for a woman yelling and acting strange. Mincey was holding a kitchen knife when officers arrived, but dropped it when ordered to do so.

Officers also could see smoke coming from the ground-level window of the apartment. Mincey told officers she started the fire with a lighter because she couldn’t buy a car and was stuck in the apartment. Officers also evacuated the remaining four apartments, which were all occupied at the time the fire started.

Adams County District Judge Stephen Illingworth sentenced Mincey.

First-degree arson is a Class 2 felony punishable by up to 50 years in prison.

Drug sentencing

A 35-year-old Omaha resident was sentenced Sept. 27 in Adams County District Court to three years of probation for attempted possession of methamphetamine on June 28, 2020, and failure to appear in court on March 25.

Stacy Delamotte pleaded no contest July 8. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors reduced the drug charge to an attempt.

Adams County District Judge Stephen Illingworth sentenced Delamotte.

Possession of a controlled substance (meth) and failure to appear in court are each a Class 4 felony punishable by up to two years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Fairmont teen killed in crash

YORK — A southeastern Nebraska teenager has died after his pickup crashed into the back of semitrailer stopped at a rural intersection, investigators said.

The crash happened late Tuesday morning at the intersection of U.S. Highway 34 and Road O just northeast of York, killing Kain Verhage, 18, of Fairmont, the York News-Times reported.

The York County Sheriff’s Office said Verhage was westbound on the highway when he ran into the back of the semi, destroying the smaller truck and causing its engine compartment to catch fire.

Verhage was flown by medical helicopter to a Lincoln hospital, where he died from his injuries.

No one else was hurt in the collision, officials said.

Associated Press